Monday, March 11, 2013

Herklion, Greece: Greek with a capitol G



After spending the day in Barcelona we set sail for Piraeus, Greece.  At the last minute, however, we received word that, due to high winds, we would not be going to Piraeus.  Although I was a bit concerned that we would not get to go anywhere at all, my concerns were laid to rest when I was informed that we would go to Herklion instead.  Herklion, which is also part of Greece, lies on the island of Crete. 

Upon arriving in Herklion I exited the ship and set out for a run.  Given that there were some beautiful mountains in the distance, I pointed my run in their direction.  Although I did not have enough time to reach the mountains, I very much enjoyed gazing at their splendor.  In fact, these mountains were quite the sight to behold.  Although my camera failed to capture their true beauty, you will have to take my word for it when I say they were magnificent.

And what, do you ask, was the town/city of Herklion like?  Well, perhaps the best way to describe it is with one word…GREEK.  The place simply wreaked of Greek culture.  I didn't even talk to many of the residents, eat the food, or attend a big fat wedding, and yet I found the place to be very Greek.  It wasn't really anything that anyone said or did that made me feel this way.  The place just felt down right Greek.  From the landscape, to the architecture, Herklion was without a doubt GREEK.

No comments:

Post a Comment